Two weeks ago, my little fishy friend Marlin went belly up. You never met Marlin because Momma never got around to taking his picture and posting it here on my blog, like she said she would... I had him for about a month. Poor Marlin didn't exactly lead this best fishy life. From the time we dropped him in the tank, Nemo just harassed him. We were all kind of surprised that he lasted as long as he did but nonetheless, I was very upset to learn of his passing. As the week went on, I healed from my loss and started to ask Daddy and Mommy if I could get a "new" Marlin. Daddy and Mommy had been talking about getting an algae eater for my tank anyway to help keep it clean. So, last weekend we ventured out to the pet store and picked out an algae eater, Bruce (That's actually the shark's name from Finding Nemo but I think he looks like a shark, hence the name. And I don't like him either, he scares the bejesus out of me!), and a new Marlin. This Marlin was really pretty, errr, handsome. He was orange and white much like "old" Marlin and had a nifty looking tail and was a little bigger. From the moment we dumped him in the tank, he kind of let Nemo know that he wasn't going to take any of his crap. We also figured that he and Bruce formed an alliance on the way home from Petco and were going to have each other's backs. As the days went by, my new fishy friends seemed so happy in their tank. They all seemed to get along and would hang out together as well as give each other some space. Then on Saturday, the unthinkable happened. That afternoon, Momma went in to feed them. Both Nemo and Marlin gobbled up their flakes as Momma dumped their dinner in. All seemed right in the world. But just 20 short minutes later, Daddy walked in my room to put something in my closet...and there...floating...lifelessly...in the bottom of the tank...was "new" Marlin. We think there must be some foul play involved since he seemed fine leading up to his untimely death. Apparently, Nemo just likes being the only goldfish in the house and doesn't appreciate sharing his food with anyone else. Thankfully Bruce lives on algae so we think he'll be OK. Last night I asked Momma if I could get, yet, another "new" Marlin and Momma said she thought that would just be cruel and that we should probably just respect Nemo's wishes. But when THAT sucker goes belly up, there's going to be some new fish in town!
